Monday, April 20, 2009

Oracle to buy Sun!





Today's announcement that Oracle has agreed to buy Sun definitely starts the MySQL conference which begins this morning with a bang. I expect Oracle InnoDB presentations to be standing room only!

  • Oracle announcement: http://www.oracle.com/sun/index.html
  • Sun announcement: http://www.sun.com/third-party/global/oracle/index.jsp

The MySQL conference just got very interesting for the attendees! Popular user conferences bring together industry leaders from around the world, so the activity at the conference has definitely be raised to a very high level.

For me personally this potential acquisition is great news. It brings together the two company's technologies where I have spent most of my career working with.

2 comments:

Walter Heck said...

This is an interesting way to start my day. It's 6 am, I am going to be at the MySQL conf in an hour and this happens. Oh well, at least it won't be boring :)

Chris P said...

Wow. It makes all the sense in the world for Oracle to buy Java, but what will become of MySQL? Will it be a satellite product like InnoDB and BerkeleyDB, or might we see the "Oracle Storage Engine" as a migration path?

Interesting times ahead I think.