The MySQL Users Conference is just about to start. With MySQL now part of Sun, it is infusing a lot of energy and enthusiasm into MySQL and the conference. This is shaping up to be the best MySQL conference ever. If this is your first conference, here are my top 10 things I recommend you do to get ready for the conference:
1) Solidify your personal schedule and set backups in case a room is full for a presentation.
2) Plan on spending time in the vendor booth area, plan to ask experts some good questions. Leverage your time there.
3) What is your networking game plan? One of the key benefits is to network at the conference. What are some good things to ask other people while you are there. Try to meet as many people as you can.
4) Look at all the breakfast and evening events. Plan ahead for activities.
5) Have your business cards and other information ready.
6) Maximize attending presentations: Download presentations in advance so you can ask more detailed questions during the presentation. Make sure you check the daily agenda updates. There are always cool things added at the conference.
7) Meet instructors that are part of the MySQL education team. A very cooool group! Tobias, Glynn, Sarah, Kai, Morgan, David, Steve, Max and Tom. You all rock!
8) Read some conference blogs to make sure you are in the loop at the conference.
9) There are some very hot topic areas. Some of them include:
- DBRD and Heartbeat
- Falcon and Maria
- Enhancements to InnoDB
- Learning internals
- All the software available for MySQL The hot area seems to be data warehousing.
10) Introduce yourself to peers, presenters and conference volunteers. They all want to make sure you have a great time.
One more for good luck: Bring an extra bag or suitcase to bring additional things back from the vendor booths, etc.
See you there!